Deep Sea Fishes
In the Sea
Sea Pictures and Wallpapers
Pictures of the Sea
Other Sea Information
Deep Sea Diving
Deep Sea Research
Naval Sea Systems
Sea Level Rise
Oceans and Seas
The Aral Sea
The Caspian Sea
Introduction : Arawana fish is one of the most interesting fish, which attracts the preservers of the different fish for their aquarium. The arawana or dragon fish is highly in demand due to their unusual appearance. In addition, it is considered to be a good luck symbol in several cultures. It is believed that arawanas are auspicious and are the symbol of strength, luck, prosperity and wealth. The arawanas are in close resemblance to the traditional Chinese dragon of ancient China.
Facts about arawana fish : The arawana is basically a bony fish, which belongs to one of the most ancient fish family known as Osteoglossidae. Their origin has been found close to Jurassic era, i.e, 200 million years ago. These arawana fish have a long body with large slanted mouth and they have upturned jaws with sharp teeth inside. They have big eyes and a pair of barbles or whiskers and have a strong bony tongue to crush their prey. Some of their varieties can grow up to a size of four feet (120cm) long. They are excellent jumpers and can leap up to a height of 6 feet.
Habitat of arawanas : These giant fishes are the native of four countries namely Australia, Africa, Asia and South America. They are popularly known as Dragon Fish or Feng Shui Fish in Asia. They are found in different colors namely silver, black and jardini. They are also of red color but are very rare. They are basically carnivorous and can eat anything. It can live up to 20 years if kept properly.
Arawana Care :
Arawana requires the least maintenance to keep but one should know properly how to keep it. One should take care of the following:
- The water pH in the tank should be slightly acidic.
- The water temperature should remain between 26 to 30 degrees. Also, prevent your aquarium from direct sunlight as the temperature may change due to that.
- The water should be soft as the arawanas like soft water.
- As it is carnivores, it produces lots of waste. Therefore, the water should be changed regularly in order to prevent the ammonia and nitrate level in the tank.
- Golden arawana : The Asian arawana or Golden arawana is in the danger list of extinction. They grow up to a size of 36 inches and are much expensive. They are very famous in Asia to bring good luck.
- Silver arawana : They come mainly from Amazon Basin and can grow up to a size of around 30 inches.
- Spotted arawana : These groups are found mostly in Southern Australia. They can grow up to (36-90) inches.
- Northern arawana : They are found mostly in Northern Australia. They can grow up to (36-90) cm.
- African arawana : These come from Western and Central Africa. They grow up to (40-100) inches.
Black Arawana : They are found in South America in the Rio Negro river basin. They grow up to (40-100) inches.
Conclusion : Sea contains a lot of sea animals and plants. Scientists are regularly studying the ecology and behavior of these species, as they are very mysterious and interesting both. However, the threat of their extinction of few of the sea animals would put an end to the stories of their mysteries. One of them is this dragon fish known as arawana.